This page contains an archive of (mostly free) software for Windows especially older versions of certain software (such as browsers) which are hard to find.
This page is maintained by Charles Roth, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. It was last revised on 20 Nov 2008.
(Also see the Macintosh Archive and Unix Archive.)
- Office Suite
- OpenOffice is a free, open-source "MS Office-like" suite of tools: a word processor, spreadsheet, slide-maker, etc. that is compatible with MS file formats. Download version 1.02 for Windows.
- Internet Explorer
- Versions 4.01 (win-zipped "normal" kit) IE401.ZIP and 3.02 (self-extracting archive) IE302.EXE.
- 'Full' installer for 6.23 N6SetupB.exe.
Self-extracting archives for versions 4.51 CC32E451.EXE, 3.04 N32E304.EXE and 2.02 N32E202.EXE.Note that there is an archive of old Netscape products at wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html.
- Web Servers
- O'Reilly's (free) WebSite 1.1 WEBSITE11E.ZIP.
- Telnet Client
- Excellent (freeware) telnet client TTERMP20.ZIP. Much better than the buggy telnet client included with Win 95.
- Telnet Server
- 30-day free trial "Ataman" telnet server for Windows NT (ATRLS_CV.ZIP). Also HTML version of the User's Manual.
- WinSCP and FTP Clients
- WS_FTP, from www.gabn.net/junodj/ws_ftp.htm. Local copy of free "light edition" here at ws_ftple.exe.
Also WinSCP, for secure sites that don't allow FTP. And there's a great summary page of ssh-like tools at www.jfitz.com/tips/ssh_for_windows.html.
- Unix-ish utilities
- LS.EXE, VI.EXE, GREP.EXE, WTAR.EXE (windows command-line tar, supports long file names, needs cygwin.dll).
A more up-to-date version of vi, called "vim", is available from www.vim.org, or from here as gvim61.zip.A nearly full suite of Unix utilities for Windows is available from the Gnu folks, at sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils.
- Zip and Unzip utilities
- Graphical interface: Niko Mac Computing's WinZip 6.3.
Command line utilities: PKZIP.EXE, PKUNZIP.EXE, ZIPALL.BAT (batch file to recursively zip all contents of a directory), UNZIPALL.BAT (batch file to undo effects of ZIPALL), UNZIP95.EXE (newer version of pkunzip for Win 95/NT that handles "long" file names).
- NT Service packs
- Service pack 3, 10 Sep 1998.
- NT Boot Floppy
- How to Make an NT Boot Floppy
- How to make a CD-ROM autoload a web page
- It is often useful to set up a CD-ROM so that it automatically loads a web page that is on the CD, when the CD is inserted into your PC. (This information only applies for Windows 95, 98, and NT.)
When you write the CD, include the following files in the top level directory of the CD:
- autorun.inf (rename it from autorun.inf.bin)
- index.htm (your own file)
When your CD is inserted in a PC, Windows will automatically launch your default browser, showing the page index.htm.
- Explorer Extension: decode files
- setupdx.exe is a self-extracting installer for FunDuc's Explorer extension, which allows a right-click on a file to automatically decode many different file types, including base 64 encoding.
- VNC: remote console access
- VNC is a very exciting tool that allows cross-platform access to a server's "console". Install winvnc.zip on a host Win/NT server, and then access that host from a Win/95/NT platform with the vncviewer.exe. (Update: version 3.3.3 here in file vnc333.tar.)
For more information, including servers and viewers for other platforms, see www.realvnc.com.
- Turn off the %*^$! useless Caps Lock key by installing anticapslock.exe.
- PageSucker 2.0
- Pagesucker2.zip is a nice bit of shareware (10 day demo, register for $10 US) that downloads an HTML page and all of its links, recursively, thus providing a way to "suck" in an entire web site. There are good fine-tuning controls that limit how much to download.
Also requires the Java Run-time Environment 1.1.6 or later. Includes instructions on how to download the (free) JRE.
- Documentation for cacls command, a good command-line tool for changing file and directory permissions on Win/NT. The program and documentation for Xcacls, and extended version of cacls, is available in xcacls.zip.
- Open Office
- Open Office is a free, open-source MS-Office-like suite of tools that are compatible(?) with MS Office. Download version 1.0.2 from here.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
- Acrobat Reader 6 is the most recent (9/10/2003) version of the free Acrobat PDF file reader. This is the "full" version. Download version 6.0 from here as a gzipped file -- which should let it through download filters that block .exe files.